Friday, July 9, 2010

The Idea of the Project-Criteria etc.

So everyone knows about the (in)famous "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" list/book, right? It's sort of become the gold standard of movie lists, with people devoting whole lives, blogs, etc. to exploring it and seeing as many of the movies on it as possible. That's fine. As any movie person will tell you, making and (especially) arguing about lists is one of the most important and enjoyable things to do with movies (it may even be better than watching them). Basically, this blog will be an indulgence of that tendency within myself to the umpteenth degree. The original 1001 list is not a bad list, and if you watch all the movies on it, you'll have seen some quality film at the end. BUT you'll also have missed at least as much quality as you've found. I want to present an alternative list of 1001 films that either should have made the original cut over some of the one's that are on the list (seriously, you MUST see M*A*S*H, Kramer vs. Kramer, Bull Durham, and Meet the Parents before you die? I feel like I could have gone without those, personally), or you should just fucking watch anyway. Okay, so I'll move on to a quick FAQ (or what I assume some questions that would frequently be asked might be if anyone were to ask me questions about this) about the details of what is going on here.

Q: Do you know that like 10,000 other people have already done this, and it sucked?
A: Yes.

Q: Why won't yours suck too?
A: You'll just have to trust me on this one

Q: What are the criteria for being included on the list?
A: Be a good movie. Don't be on the original list. Also, I'm going to try to avoid just dumping a bunch of movies from one director onto the list to eat up space. I could just say, "Oh you should see every Herzog movie" and do write ups for all of them separately, but I won't do that. I also won't just pick alternative movies from directors already represented on the original list, though if I think a director with a film on the original list did some other work that is either equal to or even better than the film on the OL, I won't hesitate to include it.

Q: Do you have any qualifications for this type of thing whatsoever?
A: No. I just watch a lot of movies.

Q: How will you organize the list?
A: I won't. I'll post the movies in whichever order I feel the urge to. I, for one, hate when movie lists are organized by year, but I don't have a better way, so I just won't bother. If somebody wants to do that when they publish this list as a best-selling book, that's fine though.

Q: How often will you post?
A: Any answer I give you would be totally arbitrary and would probably not hold up after like two weeks. I want to say daily, but that is almost definitely too ambitious, so I'll say probably like 2-3 times a week.

Q: What will the content of the posts be?
A: Data about the movie (year released, director, maybe country, maybe the main cast, shit like that). A VERY short synopsis. Analysis and explanation of why it rules.

Q: Why are all these movies horror and exploitation?
A: Come on, they aren't ALL horror and exploitation, but I love horror and exploitation movies and I think that they get ignored a lot of the time and it's a shame. There is almost always a shit ton going on in those movies that people overlook. So that's why. Just trying to rep.

Q: Why don't you ever like, you know, talk about actual film stuff like camera angles, lighting, plot continuity, epicness, etc.?
A: Because I don't usually care.

Q: What do you care about?
A: Blood, guts, and good ideas.

Q: Do you want to get internet famous?
A: No doy.

Q: Why is this blog so fucking ugly? Can you fix it?
A: I don't know and no. Can you? If so you can tell me how.

Q: What is that banner picture from?
A: The Town That Dreaded Sundown. He's going to stab her with a knife attached to a trombone. Look for a post on it at some future date, obvi.

Leave any other questions in the comments or whatever. Stay tuned for the first post later tonight or tomorrow. Hint: It'll be about Creepshow.

4 comments:

  1. phillip cheesesteakJuly 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM

    lol WOW this is like a totally great idea, I can't wait for you to post things, you sound pretty cool! i bet you know a lot about movies right?!!? what's your favorite nic cage movie?? mine's gone in sixty seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horror and exploitation? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete